In an effort to further protect the health and wellbeing of international visitors and Belizeans from Covid-19, Belize Tourism Board (BTB) has released new safe travel standards for anyone entering the country. Effective Feb. 15, 2022, all visitors are required to apply for Belize Travel Health Insurance—a mandatory insurance that helps protect travelers against incurred medical and non-medical expenses, if they test positive for Covid-19 during their stay in Belize.
The cost of the policy is $18 and provides coverage for up to $50,000 in medical expenses related to treatment of Covid-19 for a period of 21 days. This insurance plan will come online under the country’s public health regulations and provide coverage for lodging expenses due to quarantine up to $2,000 (max $300/day). Travelers will also be covered for emergency assistance services such as air evacuation and emergency expenses related to pre-existing conditions. Furthermore, it covers trip cancellations and expenses incurred by Covid-19 positive travelers for extended stays.
Entry requirements include:
- It is recommended that travelers purchase the Belize Travel Health Insurance prior to their travel to Belize. However, purchases can be made upon arrival at the Philip Goldson International Airport or at Belize’s land borders.
- Visitors must purchase Belize Travel Health Insurance and are required to complete the Customs and Immigration form that is provided on all flights to Belize.
- Exempted from this mandatory insurance are Belizean nationals, permanent residents and travelers with QRP or Long Stay status and flight crews.
- All international tourists must book their stay in Belize at a Gold Standard property (approved hotel or accommodation) and present confirmation at immigration.
- All travelers, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, entering Belize through the Philip Goldson International Airport from other countries, will be required to present a negative Covid-19 test.
- If no test is presented, a Covid-19 test will be administered at the airport for a fee of $50 per passenger. Children under the age of 5 years will not be required to present a negative test.
In the past year, Belize has implemented several traveler protocols to keep visitors feeling safe, including the Tourism Gold Standard Program and the Travel Belize app, which enables travelers to seamlessly plan their vacation with certified hotels and tour operators (an entry requirement).
For more information, visit travelbelize.org.