Lindblad Expeditions has cancelled its July 8 and July 15 Alaska voyages on the National Geographic Quest due to an accident that happened during the process of launching the vessel from the shipyard into the sea.
In a letter addressed to guests, Sven Lindblad, CEO, president and director of Lindblad Expeditions, said, “We still do not know exactly how long it will take to fully repair but certainly not in time for your voyage,” while citing what a “devastating blow” this has been for the team on Whidbey Island who have worked for over a year to launch the 100-passenger expedition vessel, which you can read more about in the “New Cruise Offerings for 2017” article.
The letter also lists the following options for guests to consider in place of their planned expedition:
Option A: Guests can transfer to any of the programs listed below and Lindblad Expeditions will provide a 50 percent reduction of the cost. The line will refund guests the difference between what they have paid and whatever the amount is for the new plan.
These programs and dates are close to the original departures, or later in the season in Alaska. Keep in mind that some only have a few cabins available.
- The 9-night Circumnavigation of Iceland aboard the National Geographic Explorer, departing July 11.
- The 9-night Galapagos: Aboard the National Geographic Islander, departing July 8, 15, 22, and 29.
- The 7-night Sailing the Greek Islands aboard the Sea Cloud, departing July 7 and 14.
- The 5-night Wild Alaska Escape aboard the National Geographic Sea Bird, departing Aug. 30.
- The 14-night A Remarkable Journey to Alaska, British Columbia and Haida Gwaii aboard the National Geographic Sea Bird or Sea Lion, departing Sept. 3 and 4.
Option B: Lindblad Expeditions will provide transfers to any voyage in either 2017 or 2018, whether on the NG Quest or any other voyage. They will also provide a 50 percent reduction of the cost and will refund guests the difference between what they have paid and whatever the amount is for the new plan.
Option C: Guests can choose not to book a different voyage now and Lindblad Expeditions will provide a full refund and a $2,000 dollar pp certificate on any future voyage.
In all cases Lindblad Expeditions will cover any air penalties that may be incurred. For more information, call (800) 425-2724 or visit expeditions.com.