Bonjour Bordeaux! This week, Avalon Waterways announced new 1-, 2- and 3-week sailings through beautiful Bordeaux with cruises on the Garonne and Dordogne Rivers and cruise combinations that also include the Seine, Saône, Rhône and Rhine Rivers.
Now leading the rise in small-ship cruising by increasing its France offerings by 30 percent, Avalon’s all-new cruise—making its debut in 2025—is entitled Bonjour Bourdeaux: Chateaux, Wineries & Charming Villages, an 8-day voyage starting and ending in Bordeaux with visits to Cadillac-sur-Garonne, Cussac Fort Médoc, Blaye, Bourg and Libourne.
It’s a Shore Thing: From Avalon to Bordeaux
New cruise highlights include:
- Cadillac-Sur-Garonne—On the Steps of Montesquieu. Take a guided tour of Château de la Brêde, birthplace of Montesquieu, political philosopher and author of “The Spirit of Law.” This fortress-style castle still sees its reflection in the encircling moat while offering guests a reflection of the past.
- Cussac Fort Médoc—Bikes, Vines & Wines. An e-bike guided tour through the picture-perfect vineyards and countryside of Bordeaux’s finest wine region.
- Blaye to Bourg—Fine Art, Fine Bubbly and a Fine Day for a Drive. Enjoy a guided visit to the Citadel of Blaye, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, followed by a panoramic drive of the famous Route de la Corniche along the right banks of the River Dordogne.
- Libourne plus Saint-Émilion—A Village Amid the Vineyards. Join a guided tour of the medieval village of Saint-Émilion – a UNESCO World Heritage site of legends and legendary landscapes. Once complete, guests are invited to spend the day walking the cobblestones of this charming village, stopping to shop or enjoy its cafe culture.
- Bordeaux—Sights and Brilliant Lights. Includes a guided walking tour through the heart of Bordeaux to stroll its stunning squares, avenues and cathedrals.
- Bordeaux plus Arcachon’s Bay—Seas, Shells and Sips. Join a full-day guided tour of the seaside resort of Arcachon on the Atlantic coast, including an oyster farm visit for a tasting of the French delicacy.
Excursions also allow you to visit local chateaux to enjoy the wines of the region, take a pastry baking class or visit a local market. The new 8-day itinerary also can be combined with other sails for 2- and 3-week cruises, featuring Paris, Arles and Basel.
For more information, visit avalonwaterways.com. Advisors, scroll down for the travel agent portal.