Avalon Waterways’ Active & Discovery cruises, which feature Avalon Choice, will be offered in 2022 on the Morselle and Siene Rivers.
Since launching Active & Discovery cruises on the Danube River in 2017, Avalon Waterways has added these popular itineraries to every major European waterway it sails, increasing its offerings by 600 percent. In 2022, the company is offering travelers six Active & Discovery itineraries with 47 departures.
“Untethered and full of opportunities to infuse interests and passions into each cruise, our Active & Discovery vacations feature extraordinary‑included—activities that give travelers the choices they crave,” said Pam Hoffee, managing director of Avalon Waterways, in a press statement. “On these one-of-a-kind cruises, every day, travelers can choose from a selection of included ‘Active,’ ‘Discovery,’ and ‘Classic’ excursions. In fact, the average number of Avalon Choice excursions on these cruises is 22, giving our guests countless opportunities to customize their getaway.”
The new Active & Discovery itineraries fro 2022 are Active & Discovery on the Moselle and Active & Discovery on the Seine. These new itineraries will join the Active & Discovery in Holland & Belgium (added in 2021); Active & Discovery on the Rhone (2019); Active & Discovery on the Rhine (2018) and Active & Discovery on the Danube (2017).
The new 8-day Moselle itinerary features 21 Avalon Choice excursions, including:
- Paddle a canoe on the mighty Moselle River
- Hike up to Landshut Castle in Bernkastel
- Bike through the Moselle Valley near Cochem
- Soar over Rudesheim on an open-air cable car and hike through the vineyards
- Enjoy a wine-tasting in the Moselle Valley
- Take a walk through history, visiting one of Germany’s oldest mustard mills
- Visit a famous local brewery in Koblenz and taste a classic brew
- Meet with an apple orchard farmer and walk through the family’s orchards
- Walk the winding streets of Cochem and spend the afternoon at Reichsburg Castle
- Visit the medieval marketplace of Bernkastel
- Take a guided tour of the famous Frankenstein castle
The new 9-day Seine cruise also features 23 Avalon Choice excursions, including:
- Spend the day in Le Havre on bike
- Kayak along the Seine river, near Rouen
- Hike up to the castle ruins of Chateau Gaillard, the historic home of Richard the Lionheart
- Take an e-bike tour to the Chateau de Maisons-Lafitte
- Enjoy a cocktail workshop in Palais Benedictine where world-famous Benedictine liquor is made
- Discover the legends of the haunted Abbey de Mortemere
- Learn about the Normandy cheese trail and taste traditional pastries
- Visit Chantilly Castle where the experts of the Confrerie des Chevaliers Fouetteurs de creme Chantilly will help you prepare Chantilly cream
- Visit the WWII landing beaches of Normandy and the American Cemetery
- Learn the history of Joan of Arc on a walking tour of Rouen
- Walk in the footsteps of Vincent van Gogh in Auvers-sur-Oise
Active & Discovery cruises are also spotlighted in the company’s new Storyteller Series of sailings, featuring celebrity hosts. Candace Bushnell is hosting Sex & the City of Lights – an Active & Discovery on the Seine itinerary, departing on July 19, 2022; Cheryl Strayed is hosting Wild & Whimsy on the Water—an Active & Discovery on the Danube itinerary, departing on July 21, 2022; Gillian Flynn is hosting Gone Girl!—an Active & Discovery on the Danube itinerary, departing on Sept. 15, 2022 and Edwin McCain is hosting I’ll Be … Romancing the Rhine—an Active & Discovery on the Rhine itinerary, departing on May 3, 2022.
“Priced from $2,549, our Active & Discovery vacations include more excursions—at the same cost—as other river cruise itineraries,” said Hoffee. “They are the perfect choice for travelers who have a diverse set of interests; those who want to customize their vacation; those returning to a river for a new experience and multi-generational travelers with different passions and pace levels. There’s nothing else like them on Europe’s rivers.”
All Active & Discovery cruise itineraries sail on Avalon Waterways’ signature Suite Ships, which provide guests two full decks of 200-sq.-ft.; Panorama Suites featuring the open-air balconies.
Book the FLY FREE & SAVE promotion for savings up to $1,000/couple on select 2021/2022 Europe river cruises.
For more information, visit avalonwaterways.com/deals.
For more cruise news, click here.