“Anguilla has increased tourist arrivals for 2014,” announced Chantelle Davis, deputy director of tourism, at the Caribbean Tourism Organization’s annual State of the Industry Conference in St. Thomas. What’s more, she described new lodgings that will make it possible to accommodate additional visitors, while raising the bar for Anguilla-style luxury even higher, if that is even possible. Here’s a peek at recent Anguila hotel news:
- The completely renovated Auberge Malliouhana Resort & Spa (yes, new management, too) will open Nov. 1 with a GM who has worked for Aman Resorts, an executive chef who’s a veteran of Michelin-starred restaurants, and a new 15,000-sq.-ft. spa. Rooms start at $525, including breakfast. See malliouhana.aubergeresorts.com or aubergeresorts.com.
- Construction of the new Zemi Beach Resort and Spa, a 116-room Trust Hospitality hotel, is scheduled for completion next fall on glorious Shoal Bay East Beach. It will feature a spa evocative of the Far East, tennis, and umpteen-star service. Visit zemibeach.com or download the Zemi Beach iTunes app.
- In 2015, CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa debuts The Reef by CuisinArt, which will be oriented toward golf, weddings, and incentive groups. The Reef is going to add 62 rooms to the resort’s current 100. Clients with foodie tendencies and the ability to travel on short notice should also know that CuisinArt hosts its first annual Epicurea: Taste, Play, Smile festival Nov. 6-10. For more information, visit cuisinartresort.com.
- Utopian Luxury Vacation Homes is now offering short-stay rentals at Ce Blue, a private residence club with 5-bedroom villas commanding fine views. Low season rates start at $2,185 per night (3-night minimum). For more information, visit utopiananguilla.com and ceblueanguilla.com.
- The new owner of Altamer, a truly boutique-size resort (it consists of three uber-lux villas, a conference center, and a beachfront restaurant), is renovating the Russian Amethyst villa and building a marina. For more information, visit altamer.com
- Other villa news: Properties in Paradise has added 7-bedroom Santosha Estate to its portfolio as the fifth villa in its luxury rental collection; weekly rates start at $62,000. In addition, Zenaida Beach and Tennis Estate re-opens in October after extensive renovations. For more information, visit propertiesinparadiseaxa.com or e-mail Elaine at email@example.com.
How to reach Anguilla? There’s good ferry service from both Dutch and French St. Martin, but, says Davis, “In anticipation of increased visitor arrivals, we have also launched an expansion of the airport to create a private jetway that will be completed for the upcoming season.”
For more information on Anguilla, contact the Anguilla Tourist Board at (800) 553-4939 or visit ivisitanguilla.com. For information on the Anguilla Specialist Program, visit edu.recommend.com/courses/18/anguilla-specialist-program.