The past seven months has seen the world turned upside down by the Coronavirus with the travel industry left reeling from canceled trips and shutdowns. Consumers scrambled as they tried to get refunds for their vacations and business trips, often finding that a global pandemic was not covered by their travel insurance policies.
Now, APRIL Travel Protection, offers its “Pandemic Plus Plan” as one of the leisure travel industry’s only plans without an exclusion for pandemics. The “Plus” in the plan is the available upgrade to the popular “Cancel For Any Reason” rider which expands cancellation coverage.
This single-trip plan covers COVID-19 related trip interruptions, cancellations and emergency accident and sickness expenses. Travelers can choose to upgrade the Pandemic Plus Plan by purchasing the “Cancel For Any Reason” option which allows policyholders to cancel their trip including for fear of traveling due to COVID-19.
“After the onset of the Coronavirus pandemic, we held discussions with our underwriters to incorporate existing insurance into a comprehensive plan that would provide financial considerations as we maneuver through a new normal with the impact of COVID-19,” said Jason Schreier, CEO of APRIL USA in a press statement. “As a result, we designed APRIL Travel’s Pandemic Plus Plan with the current Coronavirus crisis in-mind as it addresses travel disruption and emergency concerns for policyholders when they or their loved ones and business partners contract COVID-19,” added Schreier.
The Pandemic Plus Plan starts at $25 pp and offers policyholders the following pandemic-related coverage:
- Trip Cancellation allows policyholder to cancel travel plans in the event they, their traveling companions, family member, child’s caregiver or business partner contracted COVID-19 as diagnosed by a physician. Reimbursement up to 100 percent of unused, non-refundable travel arrangements.
- Travel Interruption applies if the policyholders, their traveling companions, families, caregiver or business partner contracted COVID-19 as diagnosed by a physician and travel plans need to be altered. Reimbursement up to 150 percent of unused, non-refundable travel arrangements, additional transportation expenses and/or return air travel including change fees.
- Trip Delay reimburses unused, non-refundable land, air or water accommodations, reasonable additional expenses incurred and economy airfare to resume a trip if the policyholder or their traveling companion contracted COVID-19 as diagnosed by a physician causing them to be delayed by three or more hours to or from their destination.
- Emergency Accident and Sickness Expense applies if the policyholder contracted COVID-19 as diagnosed by a physician causing them to seek immediate medical care with expenses up to $50,000.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation and Medically Necessary Repatriation coverage up to $500,000 with reimbursement for medically necessary transportation including reasonable and customary medical services and supplies relative to the evacuation and if applicable return transportation home. Applies if the policyholder contracted COVID-19 as diagnosed by a physician causing them to require medical evacuation to an adequate medical facility.
- Repatriation of Remains applies if the policyholder contracted COVID-19, died while abroad and their body required repatriation home. Reimbursement includes all costs required in transporting the body to its final destination.
- Airline Ticket Change Fee allows the policyholder to change dates with their airline if they, their traveling companion, family member, child’s caregiver or business partner contract COVID-19 as diagnosed by a physician. Reimbursement is for their airline penalty or change fee.
“While policyholders may be concerned about contracting COVID-19, cancellation because of fear of traveling is only covered by purchasing the ‘Cancel For Any Reason Upgrade’ to the Pandemic Plus Plan,” noted Schreier.
The Cancel For Any Reason optional upgrade to the Pandemic Plus Plan is available for an additional 50 percent of the base premium and offers policyholders an industry-leading reimbursement of up to 75 percent of unused, nonrefundable travel arrangements when a trip is canceled for any reason including fear of traveling due to COVID-19, travel restrictions or shutdowns, and property closures.
Travelers considering purchasing the Pandemic Plus Plan, must ensure that no government travel bans are in place during their travel dates prior to purchasing a plan. The plan does not cover losses due to government-imposed travel bans, fears over COVID-19 case spikes at home or their destination, or similar restrictions related to COVID-19 unless the Cancel for Any Reason Upgrade has been added.
The Pandemic Plus Plan also includes APRIL’s signature Stress Less Benefits, which utilize an instant adjudication process to bypass the claims process for a wide range of emergencies and inconveniences including injury, sickness, severe weather, natural disasters, terrorism, strikes, supplier default and more. Travelers can enjoy their vacation without worrying about out-of-pocket expenses or a protracted battle for claims reimbursement.
A true innovator in the marketplace, APRIL was also the first company to pioneer convenient support channels for American travelers including Skype, texting and live chat with company representatives.
This is only a brief description of the coverage(s) available. The policy will contain reductions, limitations, exclusions, and termination provisions. The plans described herein are underwritten by Starr Indemnity & Liability Company.
For more information, visit AprilTravelProtection.com.
Don’t miss this feature from Recommend’s June issue, “The Importance of Travel Insurance Post-COVID-19.”And, check out the July/August issue for info on how countries are preparing to welcome back travelers.